All Live Panel sessions (Days 1 to 5) of SRN2021 will be via Zoom.
If you are unfamiliar with or new to Zoom, here below you can find all the basic info you need to know to get you started: once it’s up and running, you’ll see that it’s quite simple and intuitive and it won’t require much from you other than attending and interacting with other delegates.
You can also download this document as a PDF file here:
App or browser
You can download the app for free from either the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) – look for the one named Zoom.us
However, you don’t necessarily need the app to use Zoom. If you don’t have the app, the Zoom web browser client will download/open automatically when you join a “meeting” (which Zoom lingo for an online session), and is also available for manual download at https://zoom.us/download
Using Zoom is pretty straightforward. However, if you’re new to Zoom we recommend testing it with a friend or colleague ahead of the Live Panels. Only a few settings need to be checked.
Video (i.e. your camera) – Make sure the correct camera is selected (especially if you have more than one). Typically (but not always), this would be your device Built-in camera.
Audio (i.e. your input/microphone AND output/speakers) – Make sure the correct input and output are selected (especially if you have more than one source). Typically (but not always), these would be “Same as system” for your mic and your device Built-in speakers.
Note: you can check both Video and Audio by using the drop-down menus next to the two icons (mic and camera) at the bottom left of the screen, or by selecting the Zoom.us menu on the task bar at the top, then Preferences… This will open the Settings box with both Video and Audio options (including testing your audio sources).
The only other thing to check is that your name is displayed correctly. If not, click on the Participants button (normally at the bottom), find your name from the list, and you should see an icon with three dots to its right. If you click on it, this includes the option to change your name.
You will only be able to log in to the Live Panels on Zoom if you have registered to SRN2021. Upon registration you will receive a password that, among other things, will give you access to the login details page for each individual Day and Session. If you have not registered yet, you can do it HERE.
So, now you’re all set and good to go!
How to join Live Panels/Sessions
You can log in to all of our Live Panels by either:
- clicking on the links and using the relevant login details (i.e. Meeting ID and Passcode) on each individual Day page on this website – e.g. go to Live Panels, Day 1, Attend Session button; or
- clicking any “Attend Session” button on any other page on the website (where available), which should redirect you to the correct login details.
Just make sure to use the correct login details for each session.
There is ONE link per session and TWO sessions per day (i.e. 10 links in total). This means that each Zoom meeting will be live for the whole duration of a session – i.e. normally about 4 hours.
Log in/out on Zoom
Simply follow these steps:
- Click on the session link (or relevant “Attend Session” button on the website)
- The session window will open (either in your browser or when launching the Zoom app)
- Click on “Join Meeting”
- Type in the correct Meeting ID and confirm
- Type in the correct Passcode for the session/meeting and confirm
- Note: If it’s the first time you use Zoom, you will be asked to accept the Terms and Conditions and to Allow recordings
- Click on “Join with video” (you can turn off your camera once you are logged in)
- You will now be in the Waiting Room – please be patient. Once you are in, you should be able to see all the attendees and hear the host(s) (if not check your audio settings)
- Note: your microphone will be off by default. You can turn it on when asking questions to our panellists
- To leave a session, click on the red “End” button on the bottom right corner of the screen
You are free to log off and on again at any time. If you log out mid-session and want to log back in again, you can do so by using the same link and login details.
Alternative access to Zoom
You can also join any Zoom session using:
- Skype for Business: in this case, use the only the first part of the link (up to and including the meeting ID in the link (e.g. https://brookes.zoom.us/j/85978681969) but not the remaining alphanumeric characters in the last part of the link. However, we have not tested this and therefore we don’t know how well it works.
- A traditional (landline) phone: useful when you do not have a microphone or speaker on your computer; a iOS or Android smartphone; or you cannot connect to a network for video and VoIP (computer audio). In this case, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org well in advance of the related session to get a list of dial-in numbers available in your country for each specific session. However, please be aware that all these are TOLL numbers (i.e. NOT free) and that the total cost of attending a live session can be quite substantial. For further details about this option, check out this webpage: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362663-Joining-a-Meeting-by-Phone