The itemized breakdown below was based on current estimates (as of December 2019) and therefore only roughly indicative of potential expenses. The breakdown does not include all possible expenses that delegates might incur and does not include all possible travel combinations. Travel expenses are based on Expedia quotes and may refer to various airlines and London airports. Prices are in British Pound Sterling (GBP or £).
Travelling in particular has been hit particularly hard by the pandemic and – as of October 2020 – prices tend to oscillate on a daily basis and on average seem to be £50-100 higher than listed below. We will revise these estimates again in the forthcoming months but hopefully for now they will give you at least a ballpark.
- Return flight (economy class) from: Glasgow (£65-100), Belfast (£65-130), Dublin (£60-120), Berlin (£90-120), Munich (£90-130), Copenhagen (£70-130), Stockholm (£80-170), Helsinki (£85-150), Oslo (£80-115), Brussels (£100-150), Amsterdam (£40-130), Paris (£60-160), Lyon (£70-85), Porto/Lisbon (£100-150), Madrid (£65-120), Pamplona (£170-260), Milan (£70-120), Prague (£60-150), Zurich (£90-140), Vienna (£90-180), Bucharest (£100-225), Warsaw (£120-130), Athens (£190-250), Istanbul (£170-270), Moscow (£240-370), St. Petersburg (£200-210), Tbilisi (£280-350), Perth (£1000-1100), Sydney/Melbourne (£620-1100), Auckland (£850-1200), Kuala Lumpur (£650-680), Honk Kong (£1000-1200), Tokyo (£1100-1800), Delhi (£820-1300), Dakha (£640-900), Abu Dabhi (£570-670), Lagos (£1260-1340), Cape Town (£700), Santiago (£950-1300), Rio de Janeiro (£700-1150), Sao Paulo (£800-1300), Brasilia (£640-1250), Buenos Aires (£850), Montevideo (£870-£1200), Asuncion (£760-£1350), Mexico City (£660), Toronto (£370-680), Montreal (£430-880), Boston/New York (£325-770), Washington (£540-650), Atlanta (£760-1050), Chicago (£590-900), Los Angeles (£280-580)
- Airport transfer London Heathrow/Gatwick-Oxford (by coach, return): £30-37
- Train London-Oxford (return): £15-30 (advance purchase; much more expensive on the day)
- Taxi (from Oxford rail station to Oxford Brookes University): £8-10
- Bus fare (day return, from City Centre to Oxford Brookes University): £3.80
- London underground: single fare £2.40 (contactless)-4.90 (cash), return fare £9.80, one-day travelcard £13.10 (daily cap at £7.00 on Oyster pay-as-you-go card)
Accommodation (per room, per night)
- On campus single ensuite (Oxford Brookes University, Postgraduate Centre, Clive Booth Hall Student Village): £60.00 (TBC)
- B&Bs: £60-150
- Other (decent) 3-4 star hotels or B&B in Oxford: £90-200
- 5-star hotels in the city centre: £180-280
Most importantly… One pint of good local ale in a nice pub: £2.70-3.20
Note: you will also need to factor in the registration fee (usually around £100 TBC), the conference dinner (£40-50), visa (if applicable), airport transfer in your country and optional social activities.